SA and Innovation Day - 10 September, 14:00
Importance and impact of local manufacturing
Chairman and CEO
Director SACEEC (2002 – Present)
Chairman of SACEEC (2009-2016)
Managing Director at Bruggeman Consulting, Ltd. January (2007 – Present)
Managing Director (owner) APE Pumps (Pty) Ltd (1997 – 2007)
Mechanical Engineering (1977 – 1981)
Hobbies: Rotary, SANCA; Sailing, Wildlife; Scuba diving
Mr Bruggeman, CEO of the South African Capital Equipment Export Council is passionate about South Africa, its past and its future, its difficulties, and its potential. A mechanical engineer with a wealth of experience, who has works for the AfDB and the World Bank on the economics of machinery and equipment. He is a lover of wildlife and the African bush and is a keen nature conservationist.
FUN FACT: RED WINE, LIVE FOR TODAY AND MAKE THE BEST OF WHAT LIFE THROWS MY WAY
Chief Director: Trade Invest Africa
DTIC Export Promotion Africa
Mr John Rocha is currently the Chief Director: Trade Invest Africa at the Department of Trade and Industry of the Republic of South Africa.
Prior to assuming this role, Mr Rocha worked as business advisor and consultant. In this capacity he was acting as the Project Manager for the Southern Africa Regional Gas Task Force at the NEPAD Business Foundation where he was responsible for driving the development of the SADC Regional Gas Master Plan. In addition, over the past 20 years Mr Rocha held several senior positions in pan-African organizations and worked as:
- Programme Manager at the Regional Spatial Development Initiative Programme (RSDIP) at the Development Bank of Southern Africa, a programme initiated and funded by the Department of Trade and Industry of South Africa. The programme specialized in the identification, scoping, development of large-scale economic projects and requisite infrastructure.
- Senior policy analyst and researcher for the Africa Policy Institute (API) and SaferAfrica;
- Committees Secretary at the NEPAD Secretariat where he was intimately involved in providing administrative and strategic support to the NEPAD Heads of State and Government Implementation Committee, NEPAD Steering Committee, the NEPAD Management Committee as well as the Africa Partnership Forum.
Mr Rocha’s main areas of expertise are peace and security, natural resources governance and management, project development and management, policy advisory, economic development planning and regional economic integration.
Mr. Rocha holds a Bachelor of Arts in Human and Social Studies with specialization in Government, Administration and Development from the University of South Africa (UNISA).
Oupa Magashula is a seasoned business executive and the current Executive Chairman of CZ Electronics. He worked and provided services for both Public Sector and various Private institutions in different roles ranging from Human Resources, Strategic Leadership, Tax administration, Industrial Relations, Financial Management and Administration.
He joined CZ Electronics in 2013 and currently holds the position of the Executive Chairman. Oupa is actively engaged in future growth plans for the company, taking a hands-on approach to the development of sales channels for existing and new products.
Oupa has over 26 years’ experience in senior and executive management and has worked major corporations including Telkom, Nampak, Sun International, SA Breweries, amongst others.
Oupa’s qualifications include a Bachelor of Science degree in Oceanography and Chemistry. He also obtained various certificates from renowned institutions.
Group CEO of Multotec Holdings
My name is Thomas Holtz and I am the Group CEO of Multotec and have been working for the company for over 24 years. I am a mechanical engineer and was a Gencore bursar many years ago. I still needed to do military training as it was compulsory.
One of my more interesting weeks in the military was when Nelson Mandela was released and the ANC was unbanned during the time where we were being lectured on who our enemies where.
Needless to say we suddenly had a free week. I am an avid runner and enjoy a little cycling and still aspire to do the full Ironman one of these days.
Benny (MJ) Jiyane
Specialised Mechanical Engineering
Board Member and Director – The South African Aerospace Maritime & Defence Industries Association (March 2009 – current)
Executive Director on a full to part time basis for the following entities:
- SME Infratech: Mechanical engineering company, specializing in system design, manufacturing of custom designed HVAC and APU for the military industry and general upgrade to military equipment.
- SVI Engineering: Innovative mechanical engineering design and manufacturing company, specializing in military equipment, weapons and accessories.
- Resolux Africa: Manufacturer tower internals and lighting systems for wind turbines and turnkey projects worldwide.
Mr Jiyane, is a businessman with over 30 years of corporate and executive management experience, primarily in the steel and the defence industry.
Fun fact: Love Golf, both playing and viewing…also enjoy politics both local and international